[mythtv-users] dd-wrt

Daniel Osborne myth at danielosborne.net
Wed Nov 23 00:00:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:

> **
> I have a Linksys WRT54G router, and the firmware on it doesn't support
> DHCP reservation by MAC, which I'd like to do to give my original HDHR and
> HDHR Prime static IP addresses.  I was reading up on dd-wrt and was
> wondering if anyone is running it.  Will I be able to do this with dd-wrt?
> Was it hard to install/setup?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

I use DD-WRT. I even used to have the WRT54G (L version, my parents still
use it).
I can't vouch for the stock firmware, as I didn't have it on there long
enough (I specifically bought that router to flash it), however DD-WRT
definitely has support for static leases based on MAC address.
Alternatively, you can do the MMC hack and install an SD card and configure
Bind.

I upgraded to a WRT600n a few years ago (the one with external antennas),
and that has a USB port, which I have an old flash drive plugged into
(256MB). With this I installed Optware (google: "Optware, the Right Way").
Now I have a full DNS server on my router.

Overkill? Probably.
Worth it? Totally.

It's not terribly difficult to set up (make sure you have the boot wait
configured, and you reset properly!).
Just verify you have the correct firmware size AND revision. Don't trust
the "Router database", double check on the forums and wiki.

Daniel