[mythtv-users] Frequent CRC errors on recording, using Myth-0.24.1....

Mark Bobak mark at bobak.net
Wed Nov 23 00:06:12 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm running separate dedicated backend and frontend machines, on
Mythbuntu (Ubuntu 11.10), using 0.24.1 daily repos.

Frequently, I get recordings that start out beautiful, but, then,
usually well into the show, I'll start to get really bad CRC errors on
playback, making the program totally unwatchable.  Sometimes the CRC
errors start at the beginning, then fade away.

I am running XFS for my recordings partition, and I have the
recommended mount options. When this first began, I learned about XFS
fragmentation, and discovered that my 5TB mount point was over 98%
fragmented! I spent the next several hours defragging it, and now
fragmentation is around 4%, but I *still* have the problem with
frequent CRC errors. I assume these errors are actually occurring on
recording, but are not detected till playback.

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions as to how to proceed, at this
point. This is really frustrating. It's not every program, but it's
many of them. It doesn't seem to be restricted to a specific channel.

If it's relevant, I'm using 2 HDHomeRun boxes, for a total of 4 tuners
doing ATSC OTA, only. I'm pretty sure it's not a reception problem.
This is relatively recent, and I haven't moved, and I'm pretty sure
the broadcast towers haven't moved lately, and it doesn't seem to be
weather dependent.

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Mark