[mythtv-users] Reliability of HDTV flag in Schedules Directlistings

Scott & Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Thu Nov 24 16:25:08 UTC 2011

>> I don't know for sure, but I can't help but think that is an issue with
>> the
>> data GIVEN to SD by the broadcaster, not with the data they are
>> providing.
>> By way of comparison, a quick check of the listing at TitanTV does not
>>indicate HD either.

>How can the listings be wrong for such a high profile event?

>If these flags are so unreliable, should mythtv really rely on them
>for scheduling?

>Should I go through an manually raise the channel priority for all
>channels which are HD channels rather than relying on the listing?  I
>don't really want to have to do that, since I would prefer to not
>record native SD content that has been upscaled for an "HD" channel.
>That just seems like a waste of disk space.

>What are the rest of you doing?

>Eric

Personally, I always schedule my recordings to "record at any time on THIS
channel" and only select channels that I know will be HD.  For one time
events, I specifically choose an HD channel.  If I specifically wanted SD
content to avoid upscaling (though I personally would prefer that), I'd pick
an SD channel.

Then again, I hate parades, so turned off is the best solution for me for
this specific problem ;).