[mythtv-users] Reliability of HDTV flag in Schedules Directlistings

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Nov 25 09:24:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Scott & Nicole Harris
<snharris99 at live.com> wrote:
> Right, but it's not TMS's or SD's job to "guess" at what's going to be on.
> It's their job to report what the affiliates give them.

Not quite.  Of course they shouldn't be guessing, and yes they
ultimately need to report what the affiliates give them, but there's
no requirement for them to do it blindly.  There can be and should be
feedback at each step along the way such that when the affiliate
publishes something that fails a (perhaps automated) sanity check it
can ask back "are you sure?".  It's like a TCP/IP packet checksums.  I
don't expect my router to guess what the web server should have sent,
but expect it to check the checksum and not forward bad information.

As to resources for implementing these checks, what are we paying for?

Eric