[mythtv-users] OT: Motherboard dying, suggestions on a replacement?

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:57:37 UTC 2011

On 29 November 2011 10:18, Andrew Cranwell <andrew.cranwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-11-29 15:22, Kingsley Turner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My 2008 core-2-duo with onboard m9300 GPU is starting to become flakey (not
>> seeing all RAM, even after I replaced the RAM, and swapped  memory slots).
>>
>> Anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?
>>
>> Any new motherboard I can find to fit the components is discontinued.
>>

> What sort of specs, requirements, budget? Guessing it's LGA 775 you need?
>
>> Furthermore I can't find any new "HTPC" style motherboards, were they a
>> thing of only the last decade, and now out of fashion?
>>

> Micro ATX & Mini ITX are still very popular and available in a wide
> range of options.
>
> If you don't mind starting from scratch (or are happy to replace MB+CPU)
> have a look at
>
> http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_htpc
>
> for some suggestions.

for a case, i went with a generic 'Mini ITX 820-02'.
whack in a low power ITX board (i used an ion 330 board), a 2.5"
drive, slimline DVD (not sure the 330 will handle blu-ray decoding)
and you have a nice FE.
i'd guess an i3 would work well, especially if you opt for the 'T'
suffix model# which has the lower TDP 35w. it might be worth saying
the case doesn't have an expansion slot on it, so has to be fully
onboard.

and yes, i agree, i've been trying to find a shallow case (< 530mm)
that fits in with AV styling, but at a reasonable cost. i didnt find
one, as most HTPC are all mATX. alot of the ITX ones are cubes, so
again, not really inkeeping with the AV styling.
in the end i opted for the above, as it's both dark toned and tiny, so
it fitted in well with my black enclosed AV cab.