[mythtv-users] FYI: harmony 650 37.99 @ costco (instant 17 rebate)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:16:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Kris B. <krisbee at krisbee.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:50 AM, "Steven Adeff"
> <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> we use Harmony 850 in the living room and one housemate has a Costco
>> purchased 650, both work fine (within the realm that any Harmony
>> "works"...). My big peeve with them is they use the horrible
>> "activity" model which makes doing anything outside of the activity
>> model a royal PITA. which is really too bad because so far hardware
>> and ease of programing is excellent. If only they operated more like
>> the Home Theater Master MX-500 I have in my bedroom...
>
> I have a 650 myself, and I do like the remote, but one caveat - the nuts
> and bolts of the programming can really only be gotten to with the
> windows programming software - the java online version doesn't get you
> to key repeats, timing, etc.  If you use the web version of the
> software, you end up having to call or email logitech for them to change
> your online profile and get to that stuff; the windows program has all
> of that available.  I was getting double presses with my ir keyboard
> mapping and easily fixed it in the windows programming.  It is hidden
> since they want you to use the java/online version, but you can still
> find it out there.
>
> The Activity model works great for me since my tv can jump right to an
> specific input, so when I change to the dvd input it automatically
> switches the tv for me to the right view mode, and then turns on the dvd
> player and then I have control of the dvd player - nice, but you end up
> having to program everything twice - once for the device and where you
> want the keys, then once for the activity and where you want the keys
> and how it works.  It would be nice to be able to turn off that feature
> if you wanted to just have a plain device functionality, but even that,
> you can work around it.
>
> Took me 3 hours to get everything the way I wanted it - and for the IR
> keyboard I had to manually program every key because if I didn't, I
> ended up with double clicks using the codes in the logitech database.  I
> also had to play with the timings as well.  However, now there is a .5
> sec delay between key presses which stinks when you are trying to skip
> around on a video, or you over click and you have a runaway device.
> Probably if I ever switch to LIRC this will be eliminated..
>
> Good luck!

yes, you basically have to use the Windows software (I think the OSX
software may allow for the same level of control).

I don't like the activity mode because if one signal does not get
received by a device you have no way of "repeating" it without
choosing something else. A real PITA when you hit the "off" button and
one device doesn't work, you then have to hit an activity button to
turn everything on before being able to repeat the off button. WHAT?!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!