[mythtv-users] Can't locate videos in mythvideo

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Nov 30 15:36:07 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 05:23, Matthew Zimmerman wrote:

> I may be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain mounting the NFS paths on
> the Frontend for Video/Recordings is now deprecated.  StorageGroups
> are instead preferred.  Instead of mounting the same path on every
> frontend, you define the StorageGroups on the backend one time and all
> the frontends are able to read the files through the backend.  So this
> does mean you have to mount the SAN on the backend.  I think what
> you're doing should work too, but I'm not sure for how long.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo#Storage_Groups

The problem that he is trying to avoid is that by mounting the content
on the backend,and sharing the content through MythTV, he has to proxy
access to the content through mythbackend and take double the hit on his
network.  The problem with... his problem, is that his is in fact not a
problem.  Even for Bluray content, you're still talking under 4MB/s to
stream.  For standard playback rates, discounting some bursty behavior
of libavformat on some containers, 100mbit network should handily manage
two frontends playing such content simultaneously, or several times that
with lower quality content.  Considering nearly every consumer
motherboard in the past five years has come with integrated gigabit
NICs, and inexpensive gigabit switches have been around for at least as
long, his gigabit network should have no trouble handling this.

Use Storage Groups, take the couple percent extra overhead on your
network, and be done with it.  If you're really that concerned, 0.25
will first scan the defined Storage Directories locally, and try to
access the files from the filesystem, before resorting to streaming them
from the backend, meaning you can mount the shares on your frontends and
it will "just work".  On a side note, it's spelled NAS.  A SAN is a
system incorporating tens to thousands of individual NAS units of
different varieties, tied into a distributed storage coordinator, and if
you actually had one of these, you wouldn't be concerning yourself with
a measly pittance of a couple extra MB/s.