[mythtv-users] HDHR or PCI ATSC tuner?

Alex Tomlins alex at tomlins.org.uk
Wed Nov 30 15:54:16 UTC 2011

On 30/11/2011 15:48, Kris B. wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:04 AM, "Christopher Meredith"
> <chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking to buy a new card with at least dual ATSC tuners. The
>> HDHR seems to be one of the better supported and more popular devices
>> so I'm leaning that way. But I have an extra PCI (not PCIe) slot, and
>> I'm wondering if there's an internal card that is also well supported
>> and regarded that will fit my needs. What do people recommend?
> The nice thing about the HDHR is that it is portable - if you have to
> swap out a motherboard in the future, the HDHR will go with it, and I
> love my single tuner version.  They just work, and they work well.
> I have two internal PCI cards for tuner 1 and 2, and the HDHR is my
> 3rd and/or LiveTV tuner, and I bought the cards used on ebay for about
> $20 each (ATI HDTV Wonder), and the HDHR single for $30 on ebay.  You
> can find the older model (which is fine) on ebay often for around $60,
> sometimes from the factory as a closeout...

Personally I'd avoid buying any PCI cards these days, and only buy PCIe
variants.  Motherboards are shipping with fewer and fewer PIC slots, so
you'll be more future-proof with a PCIe card.

In fact last time I upgraded my MBE I couldn't find a board with more
than 2 PCI slots (I needed 3), so I had to upgrade a NIC to a PICe one
(cheaper than replacing my tuners...).

thanks,
Alex

--
Alex Tomlins
Email/Jabber: alex at tomlins.org.uk

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who finish what they started