[mythtv-users] FYI: harmony 650 37.99 @ costco (instant 17 rebate)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 18:57:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Kris B. <krisbee at krisbee.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:27 PM, "Steven Adeff"
> <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> wait, how exactly, using the windows software, can you get "rid of"
>> the Activity mode? I don't follow...
>
> Well, what you are doing is lets say Watch a DVD - You set up the TV
> with a NO CODE setup where it doesn't turn on the TV, then you program
> each key in that mode to your DVD player, save for maybe TV input and TV
> ON, perhaps TV volume which you use the appropriate buttons or alternate
> buttons.  This way when you hit Watch a DVD, basically you are just
> using the device keys, save for the few you need.  Same for any of the
> other Activity buttons.  You can tell it in the Windows software to not
> use the TV associtated with that activity so you don't have to actually
> have it turn on the tv and cycle the inputs - it isn't very intuitive,
> actually it is downright confounding, but you can outsmart the program
> if you keep at it.
>
> Now, if your device has a power on button and not simply a toggle, it is
> actually quite a nice setup using the activity buttons.  I lucked out
> all of my devices except the DVD player.  If I aim wrong, it goes
> bonkers, but everything else is awesome - it turns on the TV and
> switches the input.  If the TV is already on, the command is ignored for
> power (because the TV is on) and switches input, and then gives me the
> appropriate device.  Now that I think about it, I MUST have been the one
> who did that, using a macro like setting.  Anyway, the point is, with
> the windows .exe program you can get to all of this stuff - the java
> interface is fairly closed off to those of us who dabble :)
>
> As for the DVD player when I miss aim, I just turn to another activity,
> it sends the wrong command to power cycle which turns the DVD player on
> instead of off, then I switch back to Watch a DVD and cover the front
> with my hand so the signals don't mess up again and I end up with it all
> wrong.

ahh, so you basically manipulate the activity buttons to do your
"bidding" instead of the standard action!

all my stuff has discrete codes, so this would work (everything in the
house except the Asus tv in my bedroom, but I don't have a Harmony
there).

will have to play around with this idea.

thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!