[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation Needed

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 21:01:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Richard Morton
> <richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> JYA and anyone else in the know!
>>
>> Earlier this year on this thread (3rd March) you said
>>
>> The GT430 is a better choice for a media PC today.
>> The GT220 was the best choice for a media PC a year ago.
>> The 9500GT was the best choice for a media PC two years ago
>> The 8400GS was the best choice for a media PC when VDPAU was introduced.
>>

>> I am now looking for a PCIe VDPAU card for my combined FE/BE upgrading from
>> my 8500GT which is connected over a 5m HDMI cable to a new 1080p LED/LCD
>> panel.
>>
>> I am getting tearing even on VDPAU Normal even with SD channels, so I have
>> reverted to VDPAU Slim but it is grainy and I would like to enable HQscaling
>> which I understand required Featureset C. Any suggestions on tweaking abit
>> more performance or is it time for an upgrade?
>>
>> is the GT430 still the card to get or is there a better choice (I see 5xx
>> series are not really appropriate, but is the GT440 a better choice with its
>> lower clockrate, lower tdp but faster performance?). I am also (planning on)
>> using the system with mythgame with various emulators including dolphin,
>> pcsx2, pcsx, MAME etc.
>>
>> thanks in advance
>
> I'm interested in your thoughts as well. My GT220 fan recently died
> and I've put an old case fan in front of it as a temporary, yet loud,
> fix. From what I can tell the GT430 is the best option to get the
> audio enhancements. It looks though, like there are two versions of
> the 440, one of a higher clock rate but is actually "slower" for
> MythTV purposes, and an "older" version that is clocked slower but
> actually faster.
>
> anyway, help in finding the best, cheapest card type is much appreciated!

I have been extremely happy with my Asus ENGT430 DC SL/DI/1GD3 .  It
is fanless, but I have not had any heat problems, and it fits in my
Antec Fusion (original version) case.

Only issue I have run into, is the inability to play DTS-MA material.
My preamp is picky about the signal it is being fed, I am using ALSA
.23, and there seems to be a compatibility problem there.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?