[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu Where's 'Applications->System->Preferences'?

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sat Oct 1 02:15:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:35 PM, Andrew Hughes <ahhughes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Probably going to learn a lot simply by posting this but here goes. Ubuntu's
> menu is quite different from Mythbuntu's. In particular there is no
> "Application -> System -> Preferences" menu item. Which for Noob's like me
> makes it really hard to follow online guides and howto's that constantly use
> this.
> So where is this? Can I add this to the menu somehow or is this a
> fundamental difference between the two?
> Cheers :)

The difference is quite fundamental. Ubuntu guides are written
assuming that you're using the GNOME desktop environment, whilst
Mythbuntu uses XFCE to save resources. As such, the GNOME specific
tools aren't there by default. There's usually an XFCE alternative, or
something you can install yourself, but it does render the
Ubuntu-specific guides rather useless.

Try searching for ways to do what you want from the command line, they
tend to be pretty universal between similar distributions (ie between
the *buntu's, Debian and Mint)

- Chris