[mythtv-users] Hacking a Hauppauge pvr350 to generate ACPI wakeup?

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Sat Oct 1 15:43:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 02:32:23PM +0100, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 28/09/11 21:40, tortise wrote:
> > On 27/09/2011 4:22 a.m., Marc MERLIN wrote:
> >
> >> This allows me to wake up via keyboard, or more importantly by sending a
> >> small voltage on the serial port RI pin, which I can link to a trigger out
> >> on my AV receiver.
> >
> > I've also wondered if an old PCI modem card might be used in various
> > ways.  Mimicking a "ring in" in many cases can be configured to wake a
> > system and is probably very widely supported from what I've seen of
> > motherboard BIOS.
> >
> > Many of the modem cards have a relay that might also be switched by
> > sending modem commands.  The relay outputs can be commandeered to some
> > useful purposes, e.g. being the initiating switch to powering all other
> > devices.
> >
> > The cost of these unwanted cards is also negligible these days.
> >
> You don't need a card. Serial ports are still provided on a lot of motherboards,
> even if it is only as a pin-header. All these will have a RI pin and also a DTR
> pin if you want to control anything external.

This is what I was able to do: a 12V trigger signal from my denon AVR
receiver to the RI of the serial port.
The only trick was to make sure that serial port was active for S3 wakeups,
as per the other message I posted.

Also, I forgot something even simpler: my AVR3808 has telnet support, so I
just used another PC I already had running to telnet to it, listen for a 'I
turned on and turned to mythtv input' message, and then send a WOL packet.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/