[mythtv-users] duplicate recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Oct 1 17:17:23 UTC 2011

On 09/30/2011 02:27 AM, blind_Pete wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, Dan Armbrust wrote:
>>> Can you work out if there is anything "interesting" about your
>>> program guide?  My first guess would be that your guide gets
>>> updated data to reflect reality (which is a good thing, but
>>> rather confusing).
>> Dunno.  Any display of the program guide I look at looks perfect.  I
>> haven't even noticed any duplicates ever listed in the upcoming
>> recordings section.
> Something to watch for is moving times.  eg  If what was an
> 8:00 to 8:30 program becomes an 8:00 to 8:29 program and then an
> 8:01 to 8:30 program.

Yes, this sounds like exactly what's going on.  EIT data that changes
the start and/or end times right around the time the show starts
(possibly just after one recording has started).

So, it comes down to "garbage in, garbage out."

If only there were a quality source of listings data for users in North
America.  Of course, MythTV is a "free" TV recording application,
therefore, a MythTV box isn't worth $25/yr, so I totally understand why
you'd be using the garbage EIT data that your broadcaster is giving
you.  And, the fact that Schedules Direct isn't selling TV listings
data, but is selling a membership, whose fee is meant to help Free and
Open Source Software projects, and one perk of membership is free,
quality listings data means that it's definitely not worth getting a
membership--after all, why would anyone want to actually support the
FOSS community.

Perhaps you should get a luxury DVR device like a TiVo or
cable-/satellite-company DVR--rather than a freebie DVR that, obviously,
doesn't work well--you know, one of those DVR's that actually worth
paying $10 to $15 (or $20) per month to use, instead of MythTV.

Mike