[mythtv-users] new to MythTV - general questions

Joel not12listen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 17:22:48 UTC 2011

Chris Kapp wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Joel <not12listen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> firstly, i just joined the MythTV forum and mailing list a few days ago.
>>
>> secondly, i am just trying to get an understanding of what hardware is
>> needed to get a MythTV box working.  so, here is my situation...
>>
>> Dish Network is my tv signal provider (not switching back to Comcast -
>> hate it)
>>
>> i have an AMD 3800+ X2 (64bit) machine sitting here, aching to be put to
>> good use.
>>
>> it has no capture card of any kind.  i was looking into purchasing an
>> Hauppauge HD PVR 1212, and linking the Dish Network box to the HD PVR
>> via Component cables, then to my tv.  the HD PVR would be connected to
>> my MythTV machine by USB.  i would use this machine solely as the 'back
>> end' machine, and use an identical machine (that has an nVidia card) for
>> displaying the videos.
>>
>> so...  does this sound correct?  am i missing anything?
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>> - joel -
>>

> Hello,
> I have a very similar setup.  I am using using Shawdirect (Canadian
> Satellite provider).  I have it connected to the HD-PVR.  The HD-PVR
> does come with the an IR Blaster that you will need to use to control
> the STB.  At the moment, I am not using the blaster on the HD-PVR.
>
> You will find the CPU is not powerful enough to play the recordings
> from the HD-PVR.  You will want to get a Nvidia video card capable of
> doing VDPAU.  (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU)  I have a Nvidia 430
> card and it works great.

Chris,

Thanks for the info (and link to the VDPAU site - very informitive!).  I
have 2 of the machine listed above, and intend to separate the 'front'
and 'back' end machines, so that the load is also split.

I'll upgrade both to the maximum amount of RAM they can handle, and give
the 'back' end machine quite a large hard drive (for long term
storage).  I also intend to install nVidia GT 430 video cards in both
machines (just to be safe), so that there is no worry about whether or
not they are up to the task. :)

It is a bit of a shame that ATI cards have such poor support, but part
of me wonders if this is because ATI/AMD are pulling the strings in that
manner...

Anywho...  With what I've outlined above and below, that it sound like
I'll have a functional setup when all is said and done?

- Joel -