[mythtv-users] duplicate recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 2 03:52:48 UTC 2011

On 10/01/2011 10:59 PM, blind_Pete wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Oct 2011, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Something to watch for is moving times.  eg  If what was an
>>> 8:00 to 8:30 program becomes an 8:00 to 8:29 program and then an
>>> 8:01 to 8:30 program.
>> Yes, this sounds like exactly what's going on.  EIT data that changes
>> the start and/or end times right around the time the show starts
>> (possibly just after one recording has started).
>>
>> So, it comes down to "garbage in, garbage out."
> No.  More accurate information has become available, and
> sometimes real life is confusing.
>
>> If only there were a quality source of listings data for users in North
>> America.
> I am not in North America.  Maybe the original poster is.
> /Family Guy/ and /Jay Leno/ are syndicated around the world.
>
>> Of course, MythTV is a "free" TV recording application,
>> therefore, a MythTV box isn't worth $25/yr, so I totally understand why
>> you'd be using the garbage EIT data that your broadcaster is giving
>> you.  And, the fact that Schedules Direct isn't selling TV listings
>> data, but is selling a membership, whose fee is meant to help Free and
>> Open Source Software projects,
> I didn't know that.  Good on them.
>
>> and one perk of membership is free,
>> quality listings data means that it's definitely not worth getting a
>> membership--after all, why would anyone want to actually support the
>> FOSS community.
> I have philosophical reasons for wanting to support the FOSS community,
> even though my practical contributions are not much more than trying
> to submit a few sensible bug reports.
>
>> Perhaps you should get a luxury DVR device like a TiVo or
>> cable-/satellite-company DVR--rather than a freebie DVR that, obviously,
>> doesn't work well--you know, one of those DVR's that actually worth
>> paying $10 to $15 (or $20) per month to use, instead of MythTV.
> Do you mean me, or the OP?

I said you were right about what's likely causing the OP's problem and
then provided additional information for the OP.  I had no reason to
believe you were having problems, let alone tell you that you should use
Schedules Direct; whereas, the OP said he's in North America and is
refusing to become a Schedules Direct member on account of principles,
so I felt it was worthwhile to remind him that $25/yr = less than
$0.07/day will give him a Schedules Direct membership and free access to
high-quality listings..

If it upsets you, I'll try not to send replies to say that your posts
are correct.  :)

>    I won't be bying one of those, but it
> would be a sensible option for some people.
>
> WHEN the broadcasters change their mind about what they are doing,
> or their schedule just slips, the old program data from whatever
> source is wrong.  What happens next is "interesting".

And when the broadcaster fails to update the start time of a show until
after the outdated start time has passed, they're sending garbage.  It's
as bad as when I'm sitting around in an airport at 7:55pm waiting to
board my 7:35pm flight that's still marked as "on time"--someone should
have updated the info a bit earlier.

Mike