[mythtv-users] Live TV being hammered by channel change commands

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sun Oct 2 13:34:16 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Wayne Thomas <waynethomas69 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011-10-02 11:05:33.372 TV: ProcessNetworkControlCommand(NETWORK_CONTROL

> What has me baffled is that disabling the Network remote control has no
> effect (even after restarting the frontend and backend).  Does anyone have
> any ideas of where I can look to chase this down?

Well, it sure appears to me that the network control port is the
source of it. Are you sure you've disable the correct setting? See if
you can get into it manually. By default, the NCP runs on port 6546,
so open a command prompt and type:

telnet localhost 6546

If you get in (you'll see welcome prompt from myth) then you have not
disabled it. You can also check the settings in the database to see
what it shows. Go into mythweb, under Settings, then Settings Table.
On the next page, at the top right where it says "Edit settings for: "
make sure you choose the entry for the particular frontend you are
talking about and click Set Host. After it's reloaded, look at the
settings for NetworkControlPort and NetworkControlEnabled. If Enabled
is set to 1, then you haven't disabled it. If it's zero, then it
should be disabled (after restarting the frontend) and you can confirm
that with the telnet command (substituting whatever port number is set
for NetworkControlPort).

But aside from that, myth by itself doesn't (as far as I know) use the
network control port for anything except (I think) mythweb's remote
control feature, so the big question is what extra piece of software
do you that is making use of the NCP and screwing up? Figuring that
out should be more important that just disabling the NCP (though
temporarily disabling the NCP is a good way to verify that it's
actually the source of the problem as we suspect).

--
Ron Frazier