[mythtv-users] Compiling mythtv on OS X Lion using mac Homebrew

Jason Lewis jasonblewis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 04:25:42 UTC 2011

Hi Guys,

I have written a homebrew formula for compiling mythtv.

I have got it to a point where it compiles and installs cleanly for
.24-fixes and HEAD.

However when I run the resulting binaries there seems to be strange
issues with the UI not accepting key presses after entering a menu.

To use the script, first install mac homebrew:

http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

then once it is installed, you can try building mythtv using the
following commands:

1. brew install brew install qt --with-qt3support
2. brew install
https://github.com/jasonblewis/homebrew/raw/master/Library/Formula/mythtv.rb

You have to install qt first using the above command as mythtv requires
qt be installed with qt3support and currently brew does not have a way
to force that requirement in a formula (but it looks at though that
feature may be added some time soon). Along the way, brew will prompt
you with requiring to install various dependencies.

I found that installing the python requirements worked much better using
pip rather than as brew suggests, using easy_install

If you want to install mythtv HEAD then do the following:

1. if you haven't already, build the fixes version of mythtv (to ensure
all deps are satisfied)
   > brew install mythtv
2. then uninstall mythtv .24fixes
   > brew uninstall mythtv
3. then install mythtv head using
   > brew install --ignore-dependencies --HEAD mythtv

If you do give it a go, please let me know how the build goes? Also, I
don't understand why the resulting build has these input issues. can
anyone shed any light on that?

Thanks

Jason