[mythtv-users] Question on Component Output

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Oct 3 14:00:09 UTC 2011

R. G. Newbury wrote:
>After helping a neighbour move some furniture, I ended up
>troubleshooting her Bell ExpressVu setup. I had never seen the satellite
>output, and expected a reasonably good HD picture.
>
>But she was not getting HD. Turned out, the TV was actually being fed
>from composite + left and right audio.

Yup, I've seen that over here with a "Sky+ HD" install. Idiot left
the SCART lead connected so the TV instantly switched to SD (but at
least it was RGB and not composite !)

>  From many discussions here, re HDPVR-1212's, I thought component
>carried ALL the signal.

Component means just that - separate connections for Red, Green, and
Blue or Y, U, and V. Ie the opposite of "composite" which combines
all the video into one connection.

Audio *WILL* be separate, and sync may also be separate (or combined
with one of the video signals - typically Green for RGB, dunno about
YUV).
So for component video plus audio you need between 5 and 7 connections :
RGB or YUV video
L+R audio
Possibly composite sync or H+V syncs if not combined with a video connection.

--
Simon Hobson