[mythtv-users] Charter - Some HD channels are copy protected but their SD counterparts are not

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Oct 3 20:20:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, a few questions - First, is this against FCC regulations, or is it ok to
> copy-protect a channel's HD content only?

It is not against FCC regulations.  They're pretty much allowed to
mark whatever they want as copy-once content.

> Second, has anybody seen similar
> behavior in other areas?

Yes, there are numerous threads on this topic in the archives.

> I'm wondering if this is Charter- or
> channel-specific. Third, is it worth complaining to Charter?

It may be.  These CCI settings often seem to be set by mistake.  Often
not.  Comcast has almost everything besides the premium channels as
copy-freely.  Time Warner has everything other than local broadcasts
locked down.  Other providers seem to have policies that vary.  I'm
not familiar with Charter, but it likely won't hurt to ask.

Eric