[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR250 remote

James MacKenzie mst3000 at newsguy.com
Tue Oct 4 01:18:14 UTC 2011

I had MythTV installed under different versions of Slackware over the years
and had problems on and off with the remote using the lirc_i2c module.  It
happened again and no matter what I did I couldn't get it working again.  So,
I decided to grab the latest Fedora and install that, to see if I could get
everything working again.

(I had tried, in vain to get the ir-kbd-i2c module working with the remote
under Slackware since I read that the lirc_i2c module was being phased out.)

So this past Saturday, I backed up all my slackware files and installed
Fedora.  Overall I found the process pretty simple.  As of now, I've got
everything back to the way it was except for two things:  No remote...and
mythfilldatabase is giving me headaches, too...but for right now, I just want
my remote back.

I'm running the latest available kernel for Fedora 15, 2.6.40-4.  I have the
old gray front/black back remote that does not have separate menu direction
buttons (the chan+/chan-/vol+/vol- double as the direction buttons).

When I modprobe ir-kbd-i2c, I can tell it is working, because if I press
left/right (vol-/vol+), the volume control popup appears on the screen.

Reading around, there apparently USED to be a parameter "hauppauge=1" that you
could use with the older remote, but this is no longer exists in 2.6.40.

So, here are my questions:

1) Does the ir-kbd-i2c module use lircd.conf files at all?  I'm thinking no.

2) Someone said putting debug=1 after the modprobe would print the keys in
/var/log/messages as they were pressed.  This isn't happening.  Is there some
other value of debug I should be using?

3) Am I required to run lircd to make this work with MythTV?  If so, where's
the best configuration file for my remote, and if not, what's the easiest way
to configure Myth for the remote?

Any help would be appreciated!

(The mythfilldatabase issue is that the HD light goes solid and it just sits
there after downloading the first days worth from Schedules Direct.  I had
been running Myth on the latest 24.1-fixes branch, but what got loaded in
Fedora was straight 24.1...I'm thinking this might be the issue due to a
database version update?  Could anyone shed some light on this?)

Hopefully I've explained my issues clearly enough...any other questions
concerning this to help I will gladly provide.

Thanks,

Jim MacKenzie

----