[mythtv-users] Mythmusic with iTunes

Phil Wild phil at holobyte.com.au
Tue Oct 4 08:52:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> On 10/3/2011 16:22, Ken Truesdale wrote:
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for where I might encounter a problem?  Is there a gotcha that I haven't found yet that I should be looking out for?
>
> If you have anything with FairPlay DRM, it will be unusable by MythTV.
>
> The whole purpose of a centralized home server is that everything relies
> on that home server, rather than circular dependencies on other
> machines.  If you store your content on your Mac desktop, your desktop
> must be on any time you wish to play music.

I am a huge fan of the Squeeze Server software for manageing music and
the Logictech squeezebox products for playing my music throughout my
home.

I run the open source squeezeslave program on my mythtv frontend and
have it using a different audio out device. If I want to play music in
the living room, then my remote will turn the TV off, switch the
receiver to the right input, and I drive the player interface from my
iphone or ipad, or alternatively, I can have mythtv running, and can
divert the squeezeslave audio output to my outdoor speakers through
the second zone function of my receiver.

I find squeeze server and the interfaces for it heaps better than
mythmusic. I am pretty sure squeeze centre can hook into your itunes
library (I don't do this). I use the ipend app on my ipad, ipod touch
and iphones and can stream music from my server direct to these
devices when in the house.

Cheers

Phil