[mythtv-users] HDMI-CEC ?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Oct 4 13:51:48 UTC 2011

On 10/3/11 11:41 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com
> <mailto:nick.rout at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I just spotted this
>     http://pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx
>
>     Previous traffic on this list referred to a more expensive device, and
>     pretty beta level software, plus Jarod telling us thats upoprt for the
>     protocol was in the pipeline for the kernel.
>
>     So time has moved on, and here and now seems to be a device that
>     actually works on XBMC (is that on linux or win?). Is there any
>     progress on the myth front?
>

> it must work in linux because the vid on their site shows xbmc running
> on ubuntu, you can tell near the end

If you look here, you'll see that their library compiles in Linux:

https://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec

It includes a test program to send raw bytes to devices. Creating a
commandline utility to send the appropriate signals to turn devices
on/off would be pretty easy, from what I see in the source.

I think I may have to get one of these devices, as it would solve a
couple of problems we have at home. Right now, my receiver only
sometimes turns off when the TV tells it to. Also, I'd really like to be
able to turn the TV and receiver off, and put the computer to sleep,
when it goes without being used for extended periods of time.

Problem #1 could be solved right now with this device, and problem #2
will be easily solved once the devs finish making some improvements
being discussed in the devel list. (I'm aware of the possibility of
having a script that monitors Xscreensaver; I've tried it and it doesn't
work very reliably.)