[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR250 remote

Rick rick at laity.ca
Wed Oct 5 14:29:24 UTC 2011

On 10/5/2011 10:47 AM, James MacKenzie wrote:
> Anyone??  Anyone??  Bueller??  Bueller??
>
> At Mon,  3 Oct 2011 21:18:14 -0400 (EDT), you wrote
>> I had MythTV installed under different versions of Slackware over the years
>> and had problems on and off with the remote using the lirc_i2c module.  It
>> happened again and no matter what I did I couldn't get it working again.  So,
>> I decided to grab the latest Fedora and install that, to see if I could get
>> everything working again.
>>
>> (I had tried, in vain to get the ir-kbd-i2c module working with the remote
>> under Slackware since I read that the lirc_i2c module was being phased out.)
>>
>> So this past Saturday, I backed up all my slackware files and installed
>> Fedora.  Overall I found the process pretty simple.  As of now, I've got
>> everything back to the way it was except for two things:  No remote...and
>> mythfilldatabase is giving me headaches, too...but for right now, I just want
>> my remote back.
>>
>> I'm running the latest available kernel for Fedora 15, 2.6.40-4.  I have the
>> old gray front/black back remote that does not have separate menu direction
>> buttons (the chan+/chan-/vol+/vol- double as the direction buttons).
>>
>> When I modprobe ir-kbd-i2c, I can tell it is working, because if I press
>> left/right (vol-/vol+), the volume control popup appears on the screen.
>>
>> Reading around, there apparently USED to be a parameter "hauppauge=1" that you
>> could use with the older remote, but this is no longer exists in 2.6.40.
>>
>> So, here are my questions:
>>
>> 1) Does the ir-kbd-i2c module use lircd.conf files at all?  I'm thinking no.
>>
>> 2) Someone said putting debug=1 after the modprobe would print the keys in
>> /var/log/messages as they were pressed.  This isn't happening.  Is there some
>> other value of debug I should be using?
>>
>> 3) Am I required to run lircd to make this work with MythTV?  If so, where's
>> the best configuration file for my remote, and if not, what's the easiest way
>> to configure Myth for the remote?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated!
>>
>> (The mythfilldatabase issue is that the HD light goes solid and it just sits
>> there after downloading the first days worth from Schedules Direct.  I had
>> been running Myth on the latest 24.1-fixes branch, but what got loaded in
>> Fedora was straight 24.1...I'm thinking this might be the issue due to a
>> database version update?  Could anyone shed some light on this?)
>>
>> Hopefully I've explained my issues clearly enough...any other questions
>> concerning this to help I will gladly provide.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jim MacKenzie

Don't know about the remote problem but under F15 mythfilldatabase runs
at a snails pace and usually times out before finishing.  It was taking
40 minutes or longer for me.  I switched to SL61 and now MFD takes 2 to
3 minutes again.  Installing sl61 is a little tougher because of dep
issues etc.  go to the wiki under distribution specific installs and
follow the Fedora guide for the most part but also
http://www.witchspace.net/witchspace/page/computer/rhel6-family-server
and read the part about mythtv.  To remove qt-x11 use rpm -e --nodeps
qt-x11  then yum install qt47 qt47-x11 qt47-webkit qt47-mysql.   yum
install mythtv.  Seems to me there is a problem between perl-XML-SAX
1.04 and 0.96 or something like that.  Install the
perl-XML-SAX......0.96 or whatever it is called and then mythtv should
install fine.  That's how I remember it so if you have troubles I know
there are quite a few using sl61 and you should be able to get an answer.

cheers,
rick