[mythtv-users] Cable card HD set top box

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 20:23:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:
>> those wont work as stupic TWC marks everyone copy once. TWC should be
>> able to rent you a STB that is only a HD box w/o dvr.
>
> Well, you're right about TW!  Also, they will rent me the STB, but that
> was the point of my query.  I'd like to find a place to buy one, and not
> pay TW a monthly rental fee.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joe Henley

bhaskins, why are you wary of CC solutions?  Is it because of changes
in copy protection or something else?

None of the CableCard solutions would work any better than a ClearQAM
tuner for TW and MythTV.  Thankfully for me and many others, Comcast
and Verizon are a very different story.

Anyone who purchases a STB or CC runs the risk of their provider
refusing to activate the device or demand that you give it back to
them.  From what I understand, no one can own a STB for Comcast,
Verizon, or TW.  I am not sure where these devices come from.  Maybe
off the back of a truck.  ;)

-Tom