[mythtv-users] Few seconds missing in recordings (progress with analog overlapping?)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 6 22:25:23 UTC 2011

On 10/06/2011 03:05 AM, jeetu.golani wrote:
>> That is /not/ start early and end late.  That is "time to get a capture
>> card and hard drives running".  Start early and end late are specified
>> on the individual recording rules in minutes, not seconds.
> ah :)....thanks for pointing this out....I got confused since the menu
> lists it as "time to record before start of show" and "time to record
> after end of show". I see some references to soft padding and hard
> padding in prior mails to the forum and thought this was what they
> meant by soft padding :)....my bad :)
>
> Unfortunately setting the start early and end late in the individual
> recording rule leads to a conflict when there are back to back
> recordings :(

Thus my saying, "unless you have [enough] *additional tuners* that you
can use and can use 'start early' and 'end late' settings on all your
recording rules, you're going to miss those few seconds," (emphasis added).
> any tips you can give as to what's the best I can try to get with a
> single analog tuner?...and any clues as to even a basic overlap
> recording mechanism is on the drawing board?
>
> Thanks so much again....appreciate all your help :)

To the best of my knowledge none of the developers are working on it.

But now is probably a good time for the most important question--do you
really *need* those 3 seconds?  If so, get more tuners and use start
early/end late.  If not, set a start early/end late of 20sec or so, and
set, "Avoid back to back recordings," and that's as good as you can get
without more tuners.

Mike