[mythtv-users] gig network upgrade - is it worth it?

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 18:18:36 UTC 2011

due to the layout of my house, my mythtv PC is plugged directly into a
100mbit router.
i'm looking at another router with 5ghz network on it, but wondering if it's
worth considering bying a new router with 1gig switch at the same time.
from the router, it goes into the loft where it then goes into a 1gig switch
and distributed around the house.

boarder picture
the house is only small, so i can only see a max of 2 mythtv FE's. i am
planning on moving the BE into the loft (thus 1gig connection) and having
just the FE in the living room.

maybe im being shortsighted or i've been looking at new routers too much,
but will there be an actual benefit between 100mbit and 1gig for an FE-only
machine?? asmuch as gigabit lan would be nice, i cant help but think it's
wasted money.