[mythtv-users] gig network upgrade - is it worth it?

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Oct 7 18:26:11 UTC 2011

I have managed Gb switches throughout my network.

Managed it probably overkill (although it's really nice) -- but going Gb in general can be an easy and fabulous upgrade.

I recommend it considering prices are so low.

On Wireless, just keep in mind 5GHz spectrum doesn't mean 5Gb of bandwidth.
Also, keep in mind that wireless is a shared space where wired switches provide multiple collision domains thus better segregating and directing traffic. Wireless simply can't do that. So its throughput will always suffer.

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.