[mythtv-users] School me on playing vids in myth

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 18:48:43 UTC 2011

I have 1 myth backend server and several front ends.

I would like to use myth as a seemless way for my users to play stored
videos.

I have read this.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_Library

I am running this.
$ yum list mythtv-frontend
Installed Packages
mythtv-frontend.i686                                 0.24.1-2.fc15

Questions.

1)  If I am running myth from a client (mythfrontend), are the directories
in Advanced->Setup->Media Settings->Video Settings local to the front end or
are they on the server ?

2) Do I have to restart the server for new directory paths to take effect ?

3) How can I prevent an inexperienced user from accessing these settings ?

4) Is there a way to allow the front end to view a video stream, rather than
a static video file ?

Lets start with that.

Thanks