[mythtv-users] fails to record first program on each channel

Matt Harrison iwasinnamuknow at genestate.com
Sat Oct 8 15:47:39 UTC 2011

On 08/10/2011 07:02, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/07/2011 05:09 PM, Matt Harrison wrote:
>> hi list,
>>
>> My mythbuntu box has always been slightly unreliable. It needs to be
>> halted to reset the tuners every now and then, maybe 2% of my recordings
>> failed.
>>
>> Recently I believe there was some sort of change with the broadcast here
>> in my part of the UK, I had to retune my mothers TV and several channels
>> on mine.
>>
>> Since then the vast majority of programs fail to record. It has just
>> tried to record 4 programs on 3 channels, all failed except the second
>> one of two on the same channel. I'm seeing this behaviour constantly now.
>>
>> I've had the guy come out and check my aerial, which worked fine with
>> his little signal detector jimmy. The logs for the back don't show
>> anything useful that I can see. Even with some debug flags turned on all
>> it will tell me is something like:
>>
>> Updating status for "The Big Bang Theory":"The Vengeance Formulation" on
>> cardid 2 (Tuning =>   Recorder Failed)
>>
>> After it has tried (and failed) to record a number of programs during
>> the day, I might or might not be able to come home and watch tv without
>> halting the machine for 10 mins and letting the tuners reset. I'm not
>> positive that's the fix but it seems to work most of the time.
>>
>> I'm not seeing anything else that's obviously an error. I'm fairly sure
>> now that this is something to do with the tuners (MSI Digivox Duo USB
>> DVB-T), but I'm not sure what else to check before I am forced to ditch
>> myth (which I really don't want to do) and go back to a plain old TV.
>> I'm still able to convince the misses to wait and let me try to fix it,
>> but that won't last long.
>>
>> I am begging for some pointers with this, I've googled all sorts of
>> things that came up in the logs but turned out to be unrelated. I've
>> googled around for other people having problems with the above tuners
>> but nothing interesting has appeared. EIT is turned off for every single
>> channel...and I'm out of ideas.
>>
>> I would be so grateful for some help. Seriously, I'll mail a beer :)
>
> Sounds like your channels configuration is out of date and you need to
> rescan.
>
> If rescanning with the existing video source doesn't work, you could
> reset your entire video sources configuration with
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 .

Thanks for the reply Mike,

I had tried some rescanning but I will try removing the source and
starting over. I did receive a reply off-list which pointed to my cheap
USB tuners (I have never truly trusted them). I explained the difficulty
finding UK compatible DVB-T tuners that are low profile and at least dual.

I was pointed to the HDHR which until recently I believed was only for
US broadcasts. I've found a European version on ebay and will be giving
that a try hopefully soon.

I'm hoping one solution will work, and if both do, I've got another two
tuners :)

Thanks

Matt