[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs from the backend optical drive on a frontend device ?

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 17:10:59 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> On 10/8/2011 11:30, linux guy wrote:
> > Ignoring the usual DB/DVD decoding issues, how might I set up my myth
> > system so that any front end can play a DVD using the optical drive on
> > the back end ?
>
> See previous thread here...

None of the solutions in that thread work within Myth.

What I was hoping someone would tell me is to share the optical drive via
NFS or Samba, make a local mount on the front ends for it, then set the DVD
parameter Myth on the front ends to the local mount.   Then simply play the
DVD like you normally do.

Of course if one rips it you can play it as a regular video file.

Going outside of Myth, I think the easiest way to do it is to install
makeMKV.  It has a streaming service and it runs from the command line.
Make a script that starts makeMKV in streaming mode when a disk is inserted
into the drive, point VLC at the stream and you've got your remote DVD from
the frontend machine.   But not within Myth.

I'd like something where the user (ie my wife, friends, etc) pop a disk in
the server drive and then start watching it without having to know VLC,
server:5100/title0.ts, etc.

Thanks