[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs from the backend optical drive on a frontend device ?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 11:21:26 UTC 2011

Hi

On 9 October 2011 02:30, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My myth front ends are EeeBox PCs.
> http://ca.asus.com/en/Eee/EeeBox_PC/EeeBox_PC_EB1012P/#overview
>
> They do not have an optical drive, though a USB (3.0) or eSATA drive could
> be plugged into them.
>
> My myth backend has a BD optical drive on it.
>
> Ignoring the usual DB/DVD decoding issues, how might I set up my myth system
> so that any front end can play a DVD using the optical drive on the back end
> ?

I've done the same through two different ways..

1- Set up iSCSI.
It's rather technically challenging, but once it works. It works well.
So only downside is that I found that you can only have one client at
a time. Even if only one frontend is attempting to use the disk.

2- Use AnyDVD
You run a virtual machine with windows and AnyDVD, and you give
exclusive access to the disk, to the VM running AnyDVD.
>From then you export the drive.
You mount the drive on any of the frontends using mount -t cifs
Downside is that it's not free.

I now use the later option, and it works perfectly also for bluray
disks. As AnyDVD HD will decrypt any bluray, myth can now read *any*
bluray...

Jean-Yves