[mythtv-users] duplicate recordings

Dan Armbrust daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 17:20:35 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>>> Dunno.  Any display of the program guide I look at looks perfect.  I
>>> haven't even noticed any duplicates ever listed in the upcoming
>>> recordings section.
>> Something to watch for is moving times.  eg  If what was an
>> 8:00 to 8:30 program becomes an 8:00 to 8:29 program and then an
>> 8:01 to 8:30 program.
>
> Yes, this sounds like exactly what's going on.  EIT data that changes
> the start and/or end times right around the time the show starts
> (possibly just after one recording has started).
>
> So, it comes down to "garbage in, garbage out."

What can I look at to find out if this is what is actually happening?

You always like to blame the outside data source for issues... but the
reality is that the scheduler just isn't very smart.  It shouldn't be
that difficult to handle this situation properly.  Handling updated
scheduling information intelligently should be done regardless of the
source.

8:00 -> 8:29 starts - > input X, channel Y.

8:01 -> 8:30 shows up.  input X, channel Y.

oh, look.  I'm already recording that.  Let me just record it until
8:30, instead of 8:29.  That would be the smart thing to do.

Of course, then again, I'm complaining about the scheduler that can't
figure out that DST happens twice a year, and completely hoses itself
every time that switch happens.  Guess I shouldn't expect much here
either.