[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs from the backend optical drive on a frontend device ?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 23:21:40 UTC 2011

Hi

On Monday, 10 October 2011, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suspect that one should be able to start playing the file before the
dump is complete. Assuming one has the bandwidth to stream full MKV as well
and it doesn't need transcoding.

Streaming the full BD disk structure (decrypted on the fly by anydvd) works
well here. I don't see why sharing the mkv wouldn't work

> I'll be testing this all out shortly.  I'll report back what I find.

What I have seen happening however, is that when mounted via cifs, it caches
too aggressively and often would stop half way the playback because the file
wasn't complete at the remote end, while it was fully available on the
backend.

So basically, it was unreliable and you had to wait for the full dump to
finish... Hence why I tried anydvd to start with.

It seems that makemkv beta on windows let you do something similar as
anydvd: export an non-encrypted disk. Maybe it's a feature that will come on
day on Linux. But til then...