[mythtv-users] FYI - HDPVR in a KVM VM possible using usbip service

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 01:34:53 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Matt Mossholder <matt at mossholder.com> wrote:

> While all of what you say may be true, you can't argue with results.
> I've now recorded 3 X .5 hour shows, with no glitching. Also keep in
> mind that the average ping response time between the VM and the host
> is between .2 and .3 _milliseconds_. We're talking about everything
> living on one box here.  10 microseconds sure sounds like a lot in
> comparison.

.2 milliseconds = 200 microseconds.   I'm not sure what you mean by 10
microseconds sounding like a lot in comparison.

That being said...  Other than the latency of the start/stop commands, and
the latency of the beginning of the video frames, it's not likely to be a
problem as long as there's large bandwidth AND there's no need for
individual ACK packets (like in TCP).  It's similar to pulling IPTV off of a
satellite receiver in a way...  Lots of bandwidth, fairly slow latency.
 Nothing that can't be worked around with appropriate buffering and other
methodologies, but that said, the hdpvr driver may not like it much.

All that being said, there should be no reason you can't run the backend
right in the main box (i.e. not in a VM).  It's more likely to work
correctly too.