[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs from the backend optical drive on a frontend device ?

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 05:18:47 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Frank Phillips <frankalso at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 11:25 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > On 10 October 2011 12:53, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> makemkv on linux will export either on unencrypted mkv of any title on
> >> the bluray, or an unencrypted copy of the entire bluray disk structure
> >> on hard drive, or an encrypted copy of the entire bluray disk on hard
> >> drive. I don't think it is any different to the windows version in
> >> this respect.

I agree.

> I checked makemkv a few months ago and I didn't achieve that. Hence
> why I bought AnyDVD...
>
> There's been no update to the linux version in a while..
>
> Now if it did do it, I'm rather annoyed I spent 70 euros on something
> I didn't need...

AFAIK, Mike keeps the platforms in lockstep wrt release and features.
> I know each time I go to use it I have to update. Note that his forum
> is not setup to show edit dates on posts, only the original post date,
> so that may be misleading. He doesn't keep release dates in his
> history, but you can see them here:
> http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/MakeMKV-Changelog-117330.html

I agree with this too.

Here is the "extended help" for makemkvcon on linux:
> http://www.makemkv.com/developers/usage.txt

I had no problems building for Fedora 15.  One of the dependencies was
listed as Qt4-devel.
Qt installed on my machine was version 4, so I installed Qt-devel and it
built fine.

> When not ripping, I would prefer to be able to loop-mount a virtual
> volume upon disc insertion that is decrypted on-the-fly as used,
> rather than using the (lame) streaming function.

What do you mean by loop mount and how would you do it.

Is such a mount sharable with Samba or NFS ?  If so, could the DVD device in
Myth be listed as that mount instead of the usual /dev/sr0 or similar ?

Thanks