[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs from the backend optical drive on a frontend device ?

Frank Phillips frankalso at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 07:58:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 12:18 AM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> When not ripping, I would prefer to be able to loop-mount a virtual
>> volume upon disc insertion that is decrypted on-the-fly as used,
>> rather than using the (lame) streaming function.
>
> What do you mean by loop mount and how would you do it.
>
> Is such a mount sharable with Samba or NFS ?  If so, could the DVD device in
> Myth be listed as that mount instead of the usual /dev/sr0 or similar ?

Ignore that loop-mount-brain-debris-from-an-old-thought. It doesn't
apply here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_device
See my other message for more explanation.

If you mount a device on the local filesystem, then sure you can share
it to other systems. In practice, it may be difficult to get the
parameters correct so playback is smooth. I think there is a
difference in accessing BD and DVD. BD needs to be mounted, but DVD
needs to be unmounted (for players).