[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs from the backend optical drive on a frontend device ?

Frank Phillips frankalso at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 08:25:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 12:19 AM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW, I am not sure about the MKV file being ready (almost) immediately.
> MakeMKV and others have options for single and dual pass conversion.
> Obviously if it can stream it can convert the file in a single pass.

Single-pass/dual-pass are transcoding terms. Even though the MakeMKV
homepage calls it a "transcoder", I consider this an incorrect usage
since it does not convert using a different codec. It only repackages
the files in different containers (e.g. HDMV to MKV). There is no
recompression, the codec remains the same as the original: mpeg2, h264
or vc1. The only way it can create a smaller representation than what
is on disc is if you tell it to skip certain tracks, such as hidef
audio.

Install mkvtoolnix and run mkvmerge -i on one of the files and you can
see what tracks it contains. Each of these tracks can be extracted
(with mkvextract) into normal audio or video files. The mkv is just a
container.