[mythtv-users] HDMI-CEC ?

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 09:35:49 UTC 2011

On 5 October 2011 23:01, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well mine arrived this morning so you may live to regret that last comment sooner than you expected! A quick compile had the test app switching various things off this afternoon and I'll be tinkering with integrating some code into MythTV over the weekend.

For those who have a device and are running trunk/master, the attached
patch should get the ball rolling (it won't apply to 0.24-fixes).

For my Toshiba TV I had to enable Regza-Link in the setup menu, which
then has additional options around allowing Auto input switching, auto
power and auto standby.

With the patch applied, starting MythTV will turn on the TV and switch
it to the MythTV HDMI input. The HDMI input is identified as 'MythTV'
(in the same way that the other connected input is identified as
'Playstation 3'). Exiting MythTV will switch the TV off (and the
Playstation 3!). There are numerous potential ways of dealing with
standby, poweroff etc (both signalled by the TV to MythTV and
vice-versa) that I have yet to explore and there will be additional
complexity for those with AV receivers and amplifiers hooked up as
well.

On my TV's remote (which has playback controls as well), I can then
switch it to Regza-link mode. In this setup, it will ignore most
button presses internally and pass them through to MythTV. I've then
mapped common actions to the most appropriate MythTV action. My remote
now works seemlessly between my TV, MythTV and Playstation.

The main issues are that actions from the remote are passed directly
to MythTV and hence do not count as keypresses that will clear DPMS
and/or screensavers and when in 'Regza-link' mode, pressing power on
the remote passes an action to MythTV (i.e. telling it to turn off)
but the TV itself doesn't turn off. The last point is no doubt going
to vary by TV model and manufacturer.

All told, a bit of a game changer for me. Very nice.

regards

Mark