[mythtv-users] Extending recording and offsetting following recordings

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Oct 10 15:02:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 09:25 -0400, Newbury wrote:

> On 2011-10-10, at 8:16, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>
> > On 10/10/2011 07:29, Brent Bolin wrote:
> >> Is there any kind of option to handle this?
> >
> > Nope.
>
> Wrong.

Not wrong, for all practical purposes.

> In the Recording Options for each show under 'Scheduling Options' (second line down) you can set Start Early and End Late settings.

Sure, IFF you know that something is going to overrun.

> But you will have to do it for each affected show.

Indeed, and by exactly the amount of the overrun.

So, in order to effect what you are talking about, I have to be watching
everything that is recording (which can be 5-6 simultaneous programs on
a Wed or Thu night), while it's recording to see if it's going to
overrun and then when the amount of overrun is finally known (because
the program has just ended), go to all subsequent shows on the same
channel and fiddle their start/end time/padding.

> I was actually (half) watching the Jets v. Patriots game yesterday and when it ran a half hour over

Lucky happenstance that you were watching a program that happened to
overrun it's schedule and then hung in there to see by how much so you'd
know how much to push the rest of the schedule out.

>  and they started '60 Minutes' from the beginning I went in and added 45 minutes ( to be safe) to the End Late for The Good Wife and then to CSI.

Uhm.  That wouldn't have worked.  If they started 60 Minutes 30 minutes
late (you said the game ran a half hour over above) and you added 45
minutes to end time for 60 Minutes, you would have gotten the first 15
minutes of The Good Wife at the end of 60 Minutes recording.

Or maybe I am misunderstanding.  Regardless, you can see how unworkable
this solution is for all practical purposes.

> The REAL killer is that there is no way to know that this will happen. I was lucky enough to have the game showing and kept it on, since it was a tight game to the end. That does not often happen on a Sunday for me.

Indeed, which for all practical purposes makes Raymond's answer of
"Nope" entirely accurate.

b.