[mythtv-users] duplicate recordings

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Oct 10 15:52:28 UTC 2011

On 09/10/11 19:23, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/09/2011 01:42 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> On 09/10/11 18:20, Dan Armbrust wrote:
>>> Of course, then again, I'm complaining about the scheduler that can't
>>> figure out that DST happens twice a year, and completely hoses itself
>>> every time that switch happens.  Guess I shouldn't expect much here
>>> either.
>> For you, maybe. I should imagine the majority of users like myself have no
>> problems at all.
>
> Exactly, Mike.  It always does exactly what the rules tell it to do.
> However, it just doesn't account for the fact that the system time will
> change in the middle of the recording.  So, you just have to take that
> into account if you're recording a program that starts at/crosses/ends
> at the local boundary.
>
> Don't worry, though--it will eventually be changed to store all data in
> UTC-a /large/ effort with almost no benefit that is sure to cause bugs
> for months after the change (likely even for users who only run stable
> MythTV).  Then, we won't have to listen to people complain (without
> submitting patches, no less) about how "MythTV should use UTC."  Also,
> it will mean that those of you who directly access data in the database
> will be nice and confused.  :)
>
> Note, also, that MythTV was /explicitly/ designed to use local time in
> the database.  This is not an oversight.  This is not a bug.  This was a
> design decision that was made specifically because it had many benefits
> and the only disadvantage happened during a time period of a maximum of
> 2 hours per year--that's 1/4380th of the year where a user has to think
> (and only those users in areas with DST and only those users who
> actually record something that airs at the time of the DST switch).
>
> Of course, my statement that it will change to UTC presupposes that
> we'll actually have a time zone database in the future--since there
> currently exists none for *nix systems.
>
> Mike

I wondered what Mike was referring to here.  Then I found out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tz_database#2011_lawsuit

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/compliance/2011/10/07/internet-time-guide-scotched-by-astrology-firm-40094137/

Usually, of course, it's easy to find the offset of local time from UTC;
  it's compiling a global database that's fraught.

Really another argument for moving to UTC as the reference for myth.

John P