[mythtv-users] A few general questions about VDPAU setup.

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 03:40:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:37 PM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am now trying to enable VDPAU on some of my front ends.
>
> I have a few general questions.
>
> 1) As of 0.24.1-2, has VDPAU functionality been compiled in by default ?

Depends who compiled it, but most distros it will be compiled in.

> 2) In Setup-> TVSetup -> Playback, are those settings just used for TV
> viewing or are they used for video playing as well ?

for video too if you use the internal player.

> 3) I do not understand the VDPAU wiki, nor the Playback Profiles (page
> 3/8 of Playback menu).
>
> The Wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU) says:
>
> Enabling VDPAU in MythFrontend
>
> Navigate to:
>
>  "Utilities -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback -> Playback Profiles (3/8)"
>
> VDPAU Playback Profiles are automatically created in current versions.
>
> VDPAU High Quality: use Temporal Spatial 2X (Advanced 2X) for all
> content. To be used with nvidia cards >= 8600GT, >= 9500GT, GT120 or
>>= GT220
> VDPAU Normal: use Temporal 2X for HD content, and Temporal Spatial 2X
> (Advanced 2X) for SD content. To be used with nvidia cards >= 8400, >=
> 9300, GT110 or >= GT210
> VDPAU Slim: use Bob 2X with skip chroma option, with One Field as fall
> back, to be used with nvidia cards >= 8200 or when VDPAU Normal
> doesn't work for some reasons.
>
> Profiles using 2X deinterlacers give better motion playback than 1X ones.

> This is all great, how do I use this information ?
>
> On the Playback Profiles page, is displays a list with many (8?)
> profiles, with usage rules underneath them.
>
> Each rule has a number field with 1, 2,3,4 in it.
>
> What does this information mean ?    What am I supposed to set ?

Choose a vdpau profile and ignore the rest. start with slim and work
your way up until it stops working smoothly.

> 4) How do I know a) when VDPAU is working and b) what mode its running
> in when I'm running Myth in full screen ? (Which is where its going to
> take the most performance to display the content)

You read the logs, try ssh in and watch the log with tail -f

> 5) What part does the Xorg.conf file play in all this ?

There are a few things to make sure you have set for vdpau to work,
they are set out in the howto.