[mythtv-users] A few general questions about VDPAU setup.

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 06:38:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:58 PM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What does this information mean ?    What am I supposed to set ?
>>
>> Choose a vdpau profile and ignore the rest. start with slim and work
>> your way up until it stops working smoothly.
>
> So the profile that I select in that list is the one that it will run with ?

Select a profile, thats all you have to do.

> How do I know how many CPUs to select ?

Select a profile, use it's defaults.

>>> 4) How do I know a) when VDPAU is working and b) what mode its running
>>> in when I'm running Myth in full screen ? (Which is where its going to
>>> take the most performance to display the content)
>>
>> You read the logs, try ssh in and watch the log with tail -f
>
> Exactly which logs should I be watching ?

mythfrontend.log

>>> 5) What part does the Xorg.conf file play in all this ?
>>
>> There are a few things to make sure you have set for vdpau to work,
>> they are set out in the howto.
>
> By howto, do you mean the wiki entry or is there another document I am
> supposed to be looking at.

This is the one I was referring to:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Disabling_the_Composite_Extension

> Is it necessary to install vdpau-video-freeworld ?

Never heard of it, what distro do you use? Why not look at the package
description and see what it does.

> Would anyone care to share their xorg.conf file ?
>
> My current symptoms are that the front end can't keep up even with a
> simple avi file, ie the video runs way too slow.  Mythfrontend hangs
> when I try to leave the video player.

logs! (as above). What codec is the file encoded with?

> This machine has 2GB of RAM, installed into one of the two sockets.
>
> Any ideas ?

What video card?