[mythtv-users] Status of mythfrontend on (gulp!) Windows ?

Eric Smith erictsmith at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 16:02:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 October 2011 18:10, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So... my wife saw me running a mythtv frontend session on my laptop while I
>> was working on other things.  She now wants to do the same on her Windows
>> laptop.
>>
> I recently cross compiled current to windows.
>
> However I do get horrible black artifacts during playback. I had a
> similar issue when compiling current a few months ago on a windows VM.
>
> However, I've not had any time to do any investigations, so it could
> well be a dodgy codec on my win box or similar
>
>> Is there a way to do this ?
>
> I can't remember where I found the instructions to cross compile, but
> it wasn't tooooo difficult. Just involved having the right packages. I
> found cross compiling from my current linux box easier than setting up
> the build in  a windows VM for what it's worth.
>
> Just tried to remote boot the frontend, but I appear to be having
> network issues so I can't confirm specifics.
>
> Cheers,

You may want to have a read through
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/491689.  Lawrence
maintains a build script that can be used to cross compile from linux.
 I try to stay pretty current with trunk and have been using this for
a few weeks now and have found it very easy and functional from a
build perspective.  From a stability prospective there are definitely
still a few issues.  I also had the severe black artifacts during
playback.  Adding in DXVA2 support clears that up (but at least on
some chipsets) causes the frontend to crash when exiting playback.