[mythtv-users] HDMI-CEC ?

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 11 17:33:41 UTC 2011

On 12/10/2011 1:57 a.m., Dan Wilga wrote:
> On 10/10/11 5:55 PM, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>>
>> Thats awesome now if only nvidia would come to the party and enable
>> CEC the mythical convergance would be coming together nicely!
>
> Based on what's been said previously, and my own research, it's probably
> not nVidia's fault. They just provide the main chipset and software
> driver; it's up to the card manufacturer (Zotac, Sparkle, ASUS, etc.) to
> implement CEC in hardware. But, to save a few pennies, almost none of
> them currently do so.

Are you saying that NVIDIA hardware and software drivers are CEC
compatible, and that all the manufacturers have missed the commercial
opportunity to add value, and charge more for a niche market?

I doubt that is the case, noting for example that Sparkle and not many
more took the opportunity to make PCI VDPAU cards, when the others
largely missed that opportunity etc.  Pennies did not seem relevant when
looking at the price premiums for these cards.

It seems much more likely to me that, in the least, NVIDIA did not
promote the opportunity to its downstream manufacturers, who also did
not foresee the market opportunity.

NVIDIA has had customer "pull" for implementation of this technology,
searching their forums will prove this.  They can't say there was no
evidence of demand.

While, CEC to me is a good concept, it seems to require an HDMI chain.
(Although CEC commands may also be routable over Ethernet?)

An IP solution seems a better way to go as it is even more widespread
than HDMI, and I am delighted with the prospect of mythmobile that is
coming along, although I've not had the time to install and trial it
yet.  Either way there will be demand for Digital interface to older
hardware which does not have HDMI or IP connectivity or controllability.

Having said all that Mark Kendalls enthusiasm and feedback is to me
significant, I do not wish to be mis-understood as undermining that, I
most definitely am not.  A particularly good thing about mythtv is its
widespread flexibility to do much for many people.