[mythtv-users] Secrets for low powered front ends ?

Daniel Osborne myth at danielosborne.net
Tue Oct 11 17:53:14 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So... I've got this Dell Duo, running f15 that I'd like to run the Myth
> > front end on.
> >
> > The specs are here;
> >
> http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-duo/pd?ST=dell%20duo&dgc=ST&cid=3852,3852&lid=1619346
> >
> > Its got an N550 processor, which is faster than the N510 I'm runnning on
> my
> > Eee Box PCs,  but it has an Intel N10 video "card" instead of the ION2 in
> > the Eees.
> >
> > I haven't tested it much, but it positively chokes on the live TV stream
> > coming off the HD-PVR with the default settings.
> >
> > My DUO sucked running Windows.  It was unbearable.  Its pretty snappy
> with
> > F15, but maybe the Myth FE just plain out requires too much video
> processing
> > power ?????
> >
> > Any ideas on how to make it work  ?
>
> yes sell it and buy a box with an nvidia card. As your post says, they work
> :)

Agreed. Sorry, but it won't work.

CPU/RAM doesn't matter as much as the video card does. The Duo won't work
because it's using an integrated Intel card  (as you have pointed out).
I personally have an Acer Revo
R1600<http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AspireRevo-AR1600-U910H-Desktop-Windows/dp/B002O3W44Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top>
as
a frontend, and it works perfectly, even with HD. The key is the nVidia card
(the Revo uses nVidia ION).

Any cheapo Atom box with nVidia (built after 2008) should work, as long as
it has at LEAST 256MB VRAM (512 for HD), and has VDPAU.

However, I DO have one glimmer of hope for you. If you REALLY want it to
work...
Lower the X resolution to 640x480 (or similar). It won't look pretty, and I
can't guarantee it'll work, but that's your best bet.

Daniel