[mythtv-users] Secrets for low powered front ends ?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 21:52:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't forget that the people that know (the devs) don't recommend
> ion/nvidia/vdpau systems because they are very codec/encoding dependant.

And they are right, however:

(1) vdpau seems to cope with the commonest current broadcast
techniques (mpeg2 and h.264); and

(2) if you are ripping your own blurays and dvds then it is easy
enough to put them in a codec that is supported; and

(3) if you are downloading videos then to the extent that they are
copyrighted, you are probably not welcome to discuss your practices
here, but again it is easy enough to find in the right codecs.

So I think the problem for TV and videos is illusory. BUT flash
remains a problem.