[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime Success & Question

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Oct 12 03:04:10 UTC 2011

On 10/11/2011 7:12 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> so I was configured on the "wrong" head end, which took some
> time for Comcast to figure out)).

That's a true gotcha!

> Since you are in Comcast land, you should look at the scte65scan
> program(*).

I am very familiar with scte65scan. I actually have two classic HDHRs. I
only have three of the four tuners configured in Myth, which is enough.
I leave the last for testing and playing and a nightly run of
scte65scan. When a recording fails, I immediately jump to the text file
that was generated the night before and check the channel mappings. It's
almost always a matter of retuning a virtual channel.

> In the long(er) run, I suspect you are going to want to do what
> I want to do, which is purchase another Prime to replace your
> clear QAM tuner to end the need to do the manual channel
> remapping which is sometimes required (I find I need more than
> one Prime tuner per clear QAM tuner because the Prime cannot
> do multi-rec).

But... can the Prime do channel mapping *without* a CableCard? I bet the
answer is no. I bet the information is buried in the channel list
provided as part of the paring process. Another CableCard means another
"Outlet" charge to Comcast (currently $8/Mo) which I don't want.

> Of course, if you are subscribed to premium content (or plan to do
> so), you may still need that HD-PVR.

I am aware of the Premium content limitation. Not subscribed to any
premium content. But, yes, that would be a use for the HD-PVR.