[mythtv-users] SD Channel Picked Over HD

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 15:54:05 UTC 2011

On 12 October 2011 16:47, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 10/12/2011 8:41 AM, David Engel wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 08:21:50PM -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> >> Doing some test recordings of my newly configured HDHR Prime and I
> >> discovered an odd behavior in Myth.
> >>
> >> I picked a program in MythWeb listings screen and selected "Record Only
> >> This Showing." This was on a channel that has both HD and SD versions,
> >> in this case 730 for HD and 417 for SD. I had selected the HD listing
> >> but Myth chose to record the SD channel when I really wanted the HD
> channel.
> >>
> >> Should I put a +1 recording priority on all the HD channels? What
> >> happens if I, for some reason, want the SD channel?
> >
> > Adding +1 to the HD channels should do what you want in all cases
> > except possibly some very complicated, corner cases.  To explicitly
> > record from an SD channel in 0.24, you'd have to use a custom rule to
> > select the specific channel or SD.  In 0.25, you'll have more
> > flexibility.  You can setup filters to exclude or include SD and HD as
> > desired and not have to resort to custom rules.
> >
> > David
>
> That's what I ended up doing. A custom record is a good idea: very
> specific, no way to get confused. I always forget about that.
>
> How is the SD/HD data identified? I see the HD data in the listing
> information is rather hit or miss? Some HD shows are flagged, others not.

afaik, HD shows are flagged by the listings source. if mythtv sees the 'also
in HD' tag, and you have HD as +1 priority over the SD recording, then it
will record in HD.
if priority is equal, then it will record the most convienent show.... be it
next showing, or when a tuner becomes free if all tuners are in use.

i've set my 0.24.1 box up with HD priority of +2. this way i can still +1 to
a specific show, but have HD recordings still take priority.

Jim, in the case of UK listings, there can be a difference in SD/HD content.
for example in the UK, channel4 have identical SD and HD channel broadcast.
however, some of the older simpsons episodes will display in 4:3 ratio on
the HD channel. channel4 dont seem to scale the image, so the SD channel
would be favourable.