[mythtv-users] SD Channel Picked Over HD

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 12 16:00:16 UTC 2011

On 10/12/2011 11:41 AM, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 08:21:50PM -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>> Doing some test recordings of my newly configured HDHR Prime and I
>> discovered an odd behavior in Myth.
>>
>> I picked a program in MythWeb listings screen and selected "Record Only
>> This Showing." This was on a channel that has both HD and SD versions,
>> in this case 730 for HD and 417 for SD. I had selected the HD listing
>> but Myth chose to record the SD channel when I really wanted the HD channel.
>>
>> Should I put a +1 recording priority on all the HD channels? What
>> happens if I, for some reason, want the SD channel?
> Adding +1 to the HD channels should do what you want in all cases
> except possibly some very complicated, corner cases.  To explicitly
> record from an SD channel in 0.24, you'd have to use a custom rule to
> select the specific channel or SD.  In 0.25, you'll have more
> flexibility.  You can setup filters to exclude or include SD and HD as
> desired and not have to resort to custom rules.

However, if you have different video sources, you may want to use a
negative priority on the SDTV channels.  Using a positive priority on
HDHR HDTV channels may mean that MythTV decides to record an HDTV show
you don't like that much on the HDHR rather than record a better show
(with a +1 priority) that isn't available on the HDHR (and, therefore,
never got its +1 from the channel).  See (all of)
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html .

Then again, why leave the SDTV version of the channels in the HDHR Prime
video source if you don't want to use them?  Aren't they just garbage at
that point--garbage that's getting in the way of getting what you want,
that's slowing down scheduling and loading listings, and that you'll
never need?  If you have the HDTV versions of the channels in the video
source, I can't imagine any reason to keep the SDTV versions there,
too.  (I.e. why have NBC and NBC HDTV in one video source?  I'm guessing
the same would apply to Discovery and Discovery HD--assuming they have
the same content all the time.)

Mike