[mythtv-users] Secrets for low powered front ends ?

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Wed Oct 12 17:02:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:54:14AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Exactly.  If done right, you can get a nice Athlon II dual core or Core
> 2 Duo or Core i3/Core i5 dual core system for ~$200.  And, the crazy
> part is that with proper planning, you'll have a system that idles at or
> below the same power usage as the Atom-based system (which has no
> appreciable idle-mode power savings--meaning that it's always running at
> the same power usage).  The benefit of the real processor is that you
> have headroom available for when you need it.  There is no benefit of
> Atom--other than the ability to buy off-the-shelf systems.

I just ordered a ION2 based box from NewEgg. With 8GB RAM and HDMI
cable it cost about $272 including shipping.  I just went to NewEgg and priced
out an "equivalent" i3 dual core box using the lowest cost components:

microATX motherboard            $ 57.99
Celeron G530 (2.4GHz dual core) $ 56.99
case with 250W PS (450W peak)   $ 39.99
MCE remote & receiver           $ 32.99
8GB RAM (2x4GB)                 $ 46.99
---------------------------------------
                                $234.95
Shipping                        $ 22.01
---------------------------------------
                                $256.96
Missing :

HDMI cable

VDPAU (cheapest Nvidia card is GeForce8400GS 512MB $29.99)
If you add the video card, you need a different case

VESA mountability
SD/Media card reader

As for power saving, turn the box off when not in use and
unplug it.  Then power saving is equal when not in use.

In other words, it will be difficult to beat the total cost
for purchasing an integrated Atom/ION2 box with equivalent
functionality and form factor using i3/i5/i7 processor compatible
components from a single vendor.

Pat

Patrick Ouellette                 pat at flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net         Amateur Radio: NE4PO

What kind of change have you been in the world today?